Thursday, January 8, 2009

The greatest coaster in the world.

Recently I started to put my drinks on coasters.  It has become somewhat of a hobby.  This hobby did come with a downside.  I got a little disappointed at the lack of imagination in the coaster world.  I decided to start work on my own greatest coaster in the world.  Then I decided that was not such a good idea because there are not currently any really good coasters.  All I would have to do is make a pretty good coaster and it would be the best.  That was too easy.  I changed my mind and I now want to work on the greatest coaster imaginable.  I started on the first version today.  I went with a somewhat unusual shape for a coaster because I wanted to be sure that it would do some damage if I needed to throw it at a jerk.  I like the design so far but there needs to be some refinement.  After cutting the wood and doing some light sanding I glued and clamped the two pieces together.  I envision my final design either having way more than two pieces, maybe like twenty something pieces or being carved out of one single piece of wood.  I am not sure yet.  Boy was it hard to wait for the glue to dry.  Finally I took the clamps off and though about finishing.  I almost went with some brush on polyurethane, but I thought about it a little more and decided on teak oil instead.  It will take a little longer before I can use it, but It is worth it.  I love teak oil.  If I had hair that was a little longer I would probably try styling it with teak oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment